MTV Has Me Hooked

I stopped watching MTV several years ago when I realized I was old, a mom, tragically unhip, and MTV never played music anymore. The other day I was flipping through while doing something super exciting like ironing and found a show called "Teen Mom." The show profiles several teen mothers who recently had children. One couple are a train wreck in the making, one has overbearing parents, all have very different lives than they expected. The story that really grabbed me was Catelynn. She and her boyfriend decided to give their baby up for adoption. Both teens act far more mature and responsibly than her parents (amazingly enough, his dad is married to her mom-wow). Clearly they made the hardest decision they may ever have to make, but her parents scream and berate her on what seems like a daily basis for choosing to try to give her child a better life than she has. It tore my heart. Here are two kids trying their best in a no-win situation and they are being beat down because of it. The silver lining in her story thus far is that the adoption is an open adoption so she and her boyfriend have some contact with their child. Hopefully they will be able to find a relationship that works with the adoptive family and learn from their failed family relationships. Of course, I'm watching the show now. I am hoping that things start looking up for these families.

Have you seen the show? Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I can't remember the last time I watched tv at all, let alone MTV.
    Happy New Year to all of you and I'll see you this weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what you think.