Chalkboard in the Kitchen

One area of our home that gets the most comments is the chalkboard wall I painted last year. I can't recall where I first saw the idea (it was all over craft and design blogs last year). But, whoever inspired me, thank you. The previous owners designed the house and, for the most part, their designs are top notch. One area that baffled me for about a year was the refrigerator surround. The fridge has a wooden surround that leaves no room for error, drilling, etc. There was no way to hang anything or really utilize the space. Until I decided to use it as a chalkboard wall. It was the perfect answer.
I painted the side of our small wall housing the refrigerator (wasted space). I used about 4 coats of magnetic paint and then about 3 coats of chalkboard paint. If I had to do it again, I would use many many more coats of magnetic paint since it doesn't really hold larger magnets. I painted this so that I could post recipes next to the menu. It's a slight disappointment to not have the recipes there, but otherwise, we love it. It is a great use of wasted wall space and is a handy reference to what is on our calendar for the week. I'm posting this to Nester's Linky party today. Do you use chalkboard in your home?

3 comments:

  1. Great idea! I posted some chalkbord paint too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a chalkboard in my kitchen too and I love it! I like how yours is painted right on the wall - perfect spot for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve nominated you for a Sunshine Award. It is awarded to bloggers whose positiveness and creativity inspire others in the blog world.
    You can pick it up over on my blog at http://followbarbsbliss.blogspot.com/

    I love reading your blog. It is awesome and inspiring.
    Congratulations !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what you think.